Tuesday, September 8, 2009

artwalking.

I painted.
spotted
ran wine errands
taped
hung lights..fixed fixtures
..dug through storage rooms for white paint, artist portfolios
more light fixtures, taped, tipped a sweet cabbie from Florida..
had breakfast and lunch outside under the brooklyn and the manhattan,
swept, met two artists and felt oddly motivated.

I guess it is officially NYC art season. I plan to see a lot of things
this time around and not get suckered into going home or just
being fixated but really enjoying all that is art.

Started things off going down to Cheim & Read to see "Women looking at Women", I love and I hate the environment of "Chelsea".
The show however is a stunner, a room full of women examining, piercing, forcing, subduing and subverting each other. I think what stood out most to me were the double images by Holzer

and this painting by Marlene Dumas
. Funny thing I saw the retrospective for her at the MoMA earlier this year and it didn't impress me. Maybe i was afraid to see.

I love how she interprets light, her brush stroke is so thick and dense, and i love when she gives way to color, and the power of gesture. All in all a good way to return to the zone. I also headed to see Fudong's film "Seven Intellectuals in a Bamboo forest", run time of 5 hours, I managed to get through half of it then nodded off and left not because it was boring but Part I took me away to a land of fog, mystery, slow heavy breaths. He does magnificent work dealing with relationships, I love how he uses white/blown out/whitewhitewhite and dialogue. Is the word expound? a subject as an expounder, abstractly and very loosely so.

And much more to come. I am tired but it is a good tired and out of whatever space I was in mentally last week. I guess i can say thank god for art.

No comments: