Tuesday, January 26, 2010

getting my shit together

I have begun making streams of lists on
almost every piece of paper i touch. I cant seem to leave
dates, times and spaces empty anymore. There is this
conscious urge to occupy myself with everything
so i can force myself to interact with parts of me I haven't
before.

this year the word is fearless. it has to be. I prepared a statement
to read during an artist talk that was postponed, I was all sorts
of excited for the opportunity. Holly a while aback would have
had a panic attack and tried multiple ways to avoid it.

I think i need more of these challenges in my life. There has been
large format printing, getting frustrated with video,
colors, thoughts, and myself. But mostly i think i am happy, in a sort
of weird moment that is prolonged now as I think back on the past weeks
since i have retuned to the big city.

I love my school, I was walking through the halls this morning
before anyone got here and looked at the lights that lined down the corridor
and mused to myself that in a couple weeks it would be a sight no more for me. It saddened me, it has come and gone to fast. It isn't over but i feel the end approaching fast. This thesis show ordeal is bugging me out and i am constantly shifting through ways to sort and manage the neuroses that come up. I think I am managing plus it helps that I think the work is in a state now where many things can happen.

I just don't want to stop doing. If i learned anything at procuring this degree
is that stopping isn't for someone like me. I need to be in constant motion,
I need to be bombarded and challenged. I want my mind to forever be a sponge. I want to feel out of sorts, not good enough and beat myself up. There is a strange element of joy I attain through it all.


love and light




H


2 comments:

Lion-ess said...

I feel you. I've made a list of creative things I want to do in 2010 and then I narrowed it all down into a list of things to do per month. So far, I'm on target.

I'm fiddling with my camera at last. Remember I emailed you about it last yr. It took me 4 months to have enough courage to turn it on. Now, I'm using it every day. I'm still on auto, but I'm getting there.

I started the Project365 on Flickr.. so far so good, I haven't missed a day.

Thanks for your advice

Justin said...

I stumbled on your portfolio and love your work. Read this post and couldn't identify with it more. I've been out of school for about 6 years and had the exact same thoughts as I was leaving but unfortunately got a corporate day job and stopped making art for art's sake in exchange for a decent career etc. Only recently I've begun to rediscover that passion that comes along with growing and staying inspired. Not that you need it but, if I may offer some advice, as cliche as it may be: don't compromise. It's easy to set aside your passions that will provide long term fulfillment in favor of the short term. Do whatever you have to to continue growing and stay inspired. And good luck :)