Monday, August 24, 2009

digging

I went home and dragged the only real piece of sound out of my parent's old hiding spot for things that mean a lot to them, an old beat up suitcase with hard labels and a combination that has never worked, not to my knowing. Unfortunately when i was 15 and very introverted I re-recorded over it for about a minute, while I listened to Children's Bible Hour and attempted to update everyone's life. It is to uncomfortable for me to listen to without cringing and wanting to form some sort of time machine to go back and just hug my former self. It was hard living in my head then and some things don't change, this audio however makes me laugh so hard I cry. My parents were so happy to hear that I could in some way make it immortal, after all this is the role of me as an artist in their lives. If nothing else I can preserve them and make them ageless and available to my future.

I am reading Roland Barthes "Camera Lucida" Part II of it will stay with me for a long time, so much of what he says about history, death and time passing is so relevant to me and what I am trying to do right now and will continue as a struggle for the rest of my creative life. My parents have been married for 43 years today.




6 comments:

Will said...

OH MY GOD! as an adult, you sound so much like your mother!

i thought you were the child until she started cussing you... lol...

this made me smile like i haven't smiled in ages...

ps - wooooo bequia accent gyurl!!!

Will said...

wait... "ah wah shit"!!!??? did i hear that right???

seriously... ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING!!!

hbynoe said...

lilly had problems with "sh" and "c" she so cute..i am an "atease" since way back it makes me do a laugh cry thing that nothing else could.

you can take the girl out of bequia but never the bequia out of the girl, Nads ever tell you about that time a drop a toight....

lol

NSH said...

tutti foive.

lmao

NSH said...

atease

hbynoe said...

yuh aint know is the new way to talk :)