Sunday, July 19, 2009

rubbing them together may cause friction

I am still trudging along with my vacation coming to an end with speed that could bend my neck and break it. Luckily I am finding a heap of solace in my saltwater logged evenings. I really don't know what would become of me if I sat at home for too long.

I am finding it a little easier now to take hold of the camera, and position it and find stories that i want to tell. I am interested in narratives not in the traditional sense but in placing photos with each other to help break up and extend the notion of memory. When i was younger I smeared plums on my face, they took a photograph of me as I let the sweetness produce a smile. I have been looking for it for three days now.

Alas maybe in my early 20's I removed it only of course to be very irresponsible leaving it somewhere within the halls of one of my numerous abodes. It made me very angry that I didn't realize how significant recalling these moments would become and having some sort of reference. Also made me realize that I need to collect all of these pieces here very soon, we have over 8 albums that are falling apart and finally i managed to pluck a photograph of me at 9 days old out. It will be the crux of my investigation this semester.



2 comments:

Lion-ess said...

wish I can find pics of me when I was younger... I had an album but it was stolen over 15 yrs ago.

Goodnews... I got a digital nikon slr...
Can u give me some tips??
I so in awe.. I'm afraid to open it.
Early bday present from my bf!

hbynoe said...

happy early birthday.
what an awesome gift! what slr did you get the D80 or D90? or maybe another kind i am somewhat out of the loop with keeping up with what they bring out.

firstly read your manual and acquaint yourself with the fuctions especially..
the manual settings- the f.stop and the shutter speed.
the focusing
the ISO- digital speed the higher you go the more grain you get but you will be able to shoot in low light.

i know nikon has horrible handling in dark so always use a tripod and try to not go up over 800 ISO.

shoot in raw get in the practise, download adobe lightroom so you can convert your files to JPEGS or TIFFS.

white balance is important so always remember what light you shoot in or go auto...daylight is just beautiful.

Get up and shoot, shoot things around the house, youself ( self timer)...objects anything at all just to get a feel of it... then after you get accustomed...decide if you want to say something and that will be the hard part.

if you have any questions holly@hbynoe.com :) cheers.